Friday, February 1, 2008

Bug

Poor Buggie! Just yesterday I had to take him in to see the Vet for an emergency. He was acting so unlike himself...yowling out in pain whenever he was picked up and moved around. Was not really going anywhere except under my bed, and very anti-social--even for Bug. I called Jon and mentioned to him what was going on (this was before I knew about him yowling out in pain when moved). He suggested I call the vet and see if he should be seen. Well, I told Jon I would really like to wait one more day to see if he would improve and thus the phone call ended. So, I then went on with me afternoon. As I was unloading the dishes I kept getting this prompting that I needed to get Bug out from under my bed. I knew it was going to be a task (my bed is HUGE! And quite literally impossible to move by myself), never-the-less, I went about to it. I prayed for guideance and prayed that Bug would cooperate (i.e. not bite/scratch/mawl/ect me). After about 15 minutes of laying flat on my stomach and reaching and prodding and pulling (quite literally pulling on Bug's tail) I succeeded! Bug was out! We proceeded into my bathroom--didn't want him to go back under the bed--and I petted him and tried to see what was wrong. That was when I realized that he was in pain and discomfort. I left him shut up in the bathroom and called the vet. Thankfully he was able to be seen ASAP! The vet said that he had a blocked urinary track and that he needed to be put on IV fluids as he was majorly dehydrated. They got the IV in and then knocked him out. While he was out, the vet proceeded to hand me a towel with the words "Here. You're going to need this." and then he went about to unblocking my poor Bug. He had to use a catheter which mad it possible to dislodge the granules blocking urine flow. Let me tell ya, I was VERY glad I had that towel! I had to catch the flow that was let loose. Thankfully it was only pink and NOT red. If it was red that was a good indicator of kidney failure. So, I was relieved that we at least knew his kidneys were ok. Anyways, the vet kept him over night for observation and to make sure there wasn't another blockage in the morning. Everything went well--no blockages and he was up eating and drinking. He was able to come home! WOOHOO! Poor Buggie! He is currently residing in our bathroom until he can get control over his leak problem. He is in good spirits but is DEFINATELY ready to get out of that bathroom!! I am glad that we caught this problem when we did! We love you Buggie!!


The Patient

No comments: